Friday, February 18, 2011

One woman's trash is another woman's treasure....or at least a good laugh.

I have this newfound interest in resale shop clothing, particularly the dresses from the 80's.  You know the polyblend, patterned, elastic waistband type? Think of Melanie Griffith from Working Girl. Now if we all could work with a dish like Harrison Ford.  Sigh.


This past weekend my cousin Jenny and I went and checked out a resale shop that was recommended to me, The Way We Wore, located on Waugh.  It was awesome and how much do you love that name!  If you are committed to the search, you can really find some cute pieces that just need some love and a few updated accessories and voila, you have a new outfit for under $50!  I have three dresses that need some tailoring to bring them up to date, mainly just a hem.  I will post the before and after pictures. Soon, I promise!

I really love going through the racks of musty discards.  Sometimes it feels like I'm looking at my mom's closet from when I was younger (minus the smell) which might be another reason why I love it so much.  Everytime I go, I secretly hope to find one of her old work dresses.  It brings back memories of heading to school in the ol' Suburban, watching my mom put her on makeup in the passenger seat with rollers in her hair while my dad chauffeured.  I couldn't wait till I got to wear heels, put on makeup, and spray my hair into oblivion.  Little did I know the invention of the flat iron was going to wipe away that latter dream. 

Jenny and I were laughing about some of the things we were finding.  At one point I was sure the room was going to light up in flames with all that synthetic fabric packed in so tightly.  We pulled a few items to try on.  Some for fun and some for consideration.  I always wonder about the story behind each item I try on and who owned it.  It adds a little more mystery to the hunt. 

We didn't end up getting anything that day but definitely found a few treasures that made us chuckle.  I don't know if it's something in our food, preservatives, or what, but apparently, everyone in the 80s had tiny arms.  It's touch and go when I come across an 80s dress that has sleeves.  If it's not blousey, I could end up looking like I'm wearing sausage casing on my arms.  They had the elastic waistband down pat, they didn't think to incorporate some stretch in the actual fabric? Geez! 

So there is the Tiny Arm Syndrome and then on the other side of the spectrum is the shoulder pads inspired by NFL football players.  We both were obsessed with one dress in particular.  We loved the pattern and it had a really cool flower-type applique.  I pictured it with some sexy fishnets and a black t-strap heel or patent hidden platform pumps.  However, we had no idea that it was made for a quarterback.  The picture doesn't exactly do the shoulder pads justice because let me tell you, they were full on sticking out a good 3 inches.  On the upside, I suppose it creates the illusion that your bottom half is significantly slimmer, if you're into that linebacker/small head look.

Upclose:


The Full Enchilada (mmm that sounds good right now):


Photography by the lovely and talented Jennifer Berno

When it comes to resale shops, you win some, you lose some, but you will almost always come out with a good story and some awesome mental pictures...or actual ones if you have a camera-carrying cousin in tow. 

Step out of the box a little. Give the resale shops a try.  You never know what lies in those racks of memories.

Love and shoes,
Kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment