Tuesday, January 11, 2011

From Across the Pond

So I was checking my daily websites, People being one of them, and what do I come across? A story about Kate Middleton attending a wedding this past weekend, but instead of wearing the newest runway design, she recycled a lovely frock she had previously worn to a wedding in 2008.  My favorite part:
"She simply recycles something from her oh-so-chic closet, adds some new accessories and voila…a new princess-to-be look is born."


In order to get a fresh take on a two-year old dress, she simply added a new velvet dress coat and structured feather beret. After topping it off with a pretty smile and confident attitude, Kate had herself a royally fabulous look!  
 
I have to admit I've fallin in the trap of buying a new dress almost everytime I have an event, and I'm nowhere near royalty!  If I keep it up, I'm going to have to start wearing these dresses to work just to get my moneys worth. 

What's funny is that most women dress for other women, not men.  On the whole, you could wear the same thing twice in one week with a litle variation and a guy wouldn't notice, or if he did notice, he wouldn't care.  It seems we are constantly in this unspoken competition with each other on who looks the cutest when in reality, we should be inspired by each other.  Pay attention the next time you are out with your friends.  Listen to how women greet each other.  My guess is you'll hear "Hiiiiiiiiieeeeee! OMG, you look so cute. I love your (fill in the blank)."  All this being said in two octaves higher than we normally speak.  Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with complimenting a fashionista on her ensemble, I just think we spend so much time pretending we are getting ready for guys but it's the ladies that make the comments or even notice we have on a new pair of stems.  Just food for thought;-) 

The moral of the story: Don't fret about wearing something you've already rocked.  Accessories can be the lifesaver to any 'old' outift. I always say if you see an accessory in a store that you don't really NEED, but it's a good deal and is in good taste, go ahead and get it.  Chances are you'll be able to pair it with something you already have in your closet.  New 'sugar' can transform an oufit from blah to BAM!  If this little trick is good enough for royalty, it's surely good enough for us!  Let us not forget, Kate is photographed every day of her life and she still doesn't care if they find out she's rockin' to the oldies.  You shouldn't either. 

So go and take inventory of your accessories, resusitate your wardrobe, and give life to a fresh 'old' look, my little Fashion Doctors!

Love and shoes,
Kim

Keep an eye out for my Sugar Love updates.  These can range from a great new sale to my favorite thing of the week.  See below for this posts Sugar Love!

Sugar Love: Hats! Hats can be the perfect way to 'top' off your look while keeping your noggin warm in this cool weather.  I had my eye on a black, schoolboy style hat but found the same one in a deep green at Marshall's for HALF the price! Same exact hat but an even better color and price! DONE DEAL! My guy friends even enjoyed taking turns wearing it at the bar this past weekend;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment