Monday, January 3, 2011

Hi, my name is Kim and I love fashion.

To the five or so people that wanted me to start a blog, you can stop holding your breath. It has finally happened! And I would also like to thank you for keeping on me;-)

Being the control freak I am, I've thought a lot about what I wanted my first post to be about and now that I'm sitting here writing, my brilliant ideas have seemed to escape me. I've learned my first lesson: carry a notepad and pen wherever I go. I'm a BLOGGER now! (said standing in a superhero pose, wearing black knee high boots, wind blowing my cute, tailored black cape with fringe accents). Moving on...

First things first: What does 'Cream and Sugar' mean?
Well, it sure as hell isn't how I take my coffee.  Ever since skinny jeans and leggings have come on to the scene, sugar has been banished from my diet for months! 
Cream and Sugar has become the 'fitting'  description of my style (pun intended). Cream represents the classic style that I normally favor as the pallet for my wardrobe.  I'm not out on the streets rockin' a diamond encrusted bustier or wearing the latest trend in shiny leggings.  It's usually something simple and basic that I can pump up with the right accessories, which brings me to 'Sugar'.  Sugar is the icing on top, the sass that makes an outfit POP.  Sugar is what makes my outfit ME.  It represents the 'pizzaz' of my style.  It includes my hair pins, jewelry, handbags, SHOES, tights, makeup, or any other sassy item I add to my look.  It serves as a fashion trademark. And if you strive to be anything, it should be original. However, the term 'original' shouldn't be confused with 'tacky' or 'out of your freakin' mind'.  Some fashion examples of these descriptions are  Chloe Sevigny (look her up), Ke$ha, and Lady Gaga. Although, I do enjoy the musical nuggets of fun from the latter two ladies.
Yes, we are all working with variations of the same general trend, but if you really look at your friends, they all usually have their own style. Some just might need a fashion compass, which is what I'm here for!

Next: What's this blog about?
Hello, FASHION! I'll be posting about trends I love or hate, a funny story about something that happened to me in the dressing room (which happens more than you think), good finds I come across, hot deals, advice on what to wear, and much more that I can't think of right at this moment.  Hey, gimme a break. I'm one of those creative types. 
It's mainly a place to talk about one of my biggest passions, inspire and be inspired, and just have fun. So no comments about bad grammar or punctuation. That's totally lame and counterproductive. Besides, if you notice those mistakes you clearly aren't soaking in my witty, informative fashion tips, and that's worthy of a citation from the Fashion Police. Once you hit 5 citations you must wear shoulder pads, stone washed tapered jeans, and a nylon fanny pack for a week. Now that's a scary thought for even the most fashionly challenged person.

Lastly: What makes you qualified?
It's called taste. Some are born with it and some aren't.  We all know someone that sticks to the same stores, same style, same era. It scares or confuses them to think outside the dated, ill-fitting box.  Heck, it could be you.  No reason to be ashamed.  We all have our weaknesses. I stink at math. I hate it and am terrible at it, but I have to use it every day, just like you have to get dressed every day. I have to use the right equation to get the correct answer in math, and you need the right equation to get the proper style. 
Body type + appropriate fit = winning outfit. 
I'm not saying I'm the guru of fashion, but my friends and family ask me for advice and they always seem happy with the outcome.  It's true, I've had my fair share of fashion nightmares. I grew up in the 80s and 90s for Heaven's sake.  We didn't have a decent bootcut jean until the late 90s! And don't even get me started on the puffy shirt. Seinfeld even had an entire episode on this hideous design. The best thing I can say right now is that we will take this journey together. I'll share my hits and misses, we can have a laugh, and then move on. 

I hope you enjoy the blog and check in often.  If you don't like what you read, all you have to do is go to the upper right hand corner of your screen, click that little 'x', and kiss my a....Ooops. Almost got a little feisty there.  It's a Monday;-)

Love and Shoes,
Kim 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment